Writing a Statement in Support of Your Application
- GENERAL This is the first step in preparing an application.
Research the job/career area/organisation
by reading information booklets and employer information booklets and
employer information/vacancy information.
- Write down on a piece of paper all the key words/sentences which
describe the job/organisation using the following "trigger" words:
- skills/abilities - personality, intellectual, practical
- special aptitudes
- Now turn to your self (be prepared
to brainstorm all aspects of your life since aged 18, possibly 16
years). Write down on a piece of paper the best example of evidence
you can think of which correlates positively with each factor describing
the job/organisation which you have elicited in 2.
- Assemble this evidence in properly put-together sentences and
paragraphs, comprising your "statement in support of application".
- SPIN OFF The statement is more likely to be precise, definite,
concrete, specific and relevant. Can be used in an application form
or to accompany a CV in the form of a letter.